Jan. 25, 2009
Santa Barbara, Calif. - The UC Santa Barbara women's tennis team opened their 2009 campaign with a 7-0 sweep of visiting Cal State Bakersfield at the Rob Gym courts Sunday afternoon.
The win was especially disastrous for the Roadrunners as the Gauchos did not give up a single match in singles competition.
The Roadrunners had trouble from the beginning as the Gauchos first swept the doubles point. At the No. 1 position, junior transfer Michelle Murphy and sophomore Jill Damion outmatched Kirsty Jenkins and Kaydee Graham with an 8-2 result. Bryanna Ojeda and Natalia Lozano also made quick work of the Roadrunner's Sara Mijwell and Ashlee Thorneycroyt, defeating the No. 2 pair, 8-2. The win sealed the doubles point and put the Gauchos in front 1-0.
The momentum carried over into singles play as the Gauchos continued to dominate. Murphy and Damion led the way at the No. 1 and No. 2 slots respectively. Murphy downed Roadrunners' Jenkins 6-1, 6-3, while Damion followed up with a 6-2, 6-3 rout of Veronica Dimes.
The Gauchos pick up their first win of the year, improving to 1-0 on the season. The UCSB women will not play until Feb. 7 where they will travel to Big West rival UC Davis.
1. Murphy/Damion def. Jenkins/Graham, 8-2
2. Ojeda/Lozano def. Mijwell/Thorneycroyt, 8-2
3. Onaga/Novak def. Diamaati/Dimes, 8-1
1. Murphy def. Jenkins, 6-1, 6-3
2. Damion def. Veronica Dimes, 6-2, 6-3
3. Onaga def. Diamanti, 6-3, 6-1
4. Novak def. Graham, 6-1, 6-3
5. Lozano def. Thorneycroyt, 6-1, 6-2
6. Ojeda def. Mijuel, 6-2, 6-2