Feb. 8, 2010
Santa Barbara, Calif. - The UC Santa Barbara women's tennis team was sharp in its first home match of the season, sweeping Cal State Bakersfield, 7-0.
After Saturday's scheduled home opener was postponed due to rain, the Gauchos came out ready to go on Sunday. Sofia Novak, Asagi Onaga, and Bryanna Ojeda all won their matches without surrendering a single game. Novak, playing from the No. 1 position, dominated her match-up against Veronica Dimas. Asagi Onaga took care of Sara Mijwel at the No. 3 spot, and Bryanna Ojeda was impressive in her first singles match of the season, beating Julie Hutton in the No. 6 slot.
The rest of the Gauchos played just as well, as each match was won in straight sets. From the No. 2 position, Natalia Lozano knocked off Ashlee Thorneycroft (6-1, 6-2). Annabel Gledden continued her hot streak, beating Julian Mannix (6-1, 6-2). Gledden is now 3-1 in her four matches to start her collegiate career. Jordan Dockendorf also continued her solid play, as she defeated Gabriela Horton (6-1, 6-1).
In doubles play, the Gauchos continued to show improvement, as all three matches were won in convincing fashion. In No. 1 doubles, Lozano and Dockendorf were too much for Mannix and Dimas, winning by a score of (8-1). In the No. 2 slot, Ojeda and Onaga shut down Mijwel and Hutton (8-0). Hausman and Novak were also successful, as they rounded out the sweep and beat the team of Thorneycroft and Horton (8-2).
Saturday's rainout will be rescheduled for a later date to be determined.
The Gauchos will be back in action on February 12th, when they hit the road to take on Santa Clara at 2:00 p.m.
1. Sofia Novak (UCSB) def. Veronica Dimas (CSUB) 6-0, 6-0
2. Natalia Lozano (UCSB) def. Ashlee Thorneycroft (CSUB) 6-1, 6-2
3. Asagi Onaga (UCSB) def. Sara Mijwel (CSUB) 6-0, 6-0
4. Annabel Gledden (UCSB) def. Julian Mannix (CSUB) 6-1, 6-2
5. Jordan Dockendorf (UCSB) def. Gabriela Horton (CSUB) 6-1, 6-1
6. Bryanna Ojeda (UCSB) def. Julie Hutton (CSUB) 6-0, 6-0
1. Lozano/Dockendorf (UCSB) def. Mannix/Dimas (CSUB) 8-1
2. Ojeda/Onaga (UCSB) def. Mijwel/Hutton (CSUB) 8-0
3. Hausman/Novak (UCSB) def. Thorneycroft/Horton (CSUB) 8-2