Feb. 13, 2010
San Francisco, Calif. - In the second match of a three day road trip, the UC Santa Barbara women's tennis team picked up its first road victory of the young season. The Gauchos moved to 2-4 on the year, while the University of San Francisco Dons dropped to 1-4.
Sofia Novak, competing from the No. 1 position, fell to 65th ranked Jennifer-Lee Heinser in straight sets (6-4, 6-1). The only other singles loss came at the No. 3 slot, where Asagi Onaga failed to win a game against Cecilia Gratian (6-0, 6-0).
It took Natalia Lozano three sets to win her match, but she pulled out the victory from the No. 2 spot against Julia Wartenburger (7-6, 3-6, 6-3). Annabel Gledden came back from her Friday loss to knock off San Francisco's Melinda Akerbrant (6-4, 7-6, 6-3). In No. 5 singles, Jordan Dockendorf took care of Yurie Hashiguchi (6-3, 6-2). Bryanna Ojeda, playing in her second singles match of the season, moved to 2-0 in dual match play as she beat Jessy Mekpoh (6-1, 6-3), at the No. 6 position.
In addition to the singles success, the Gauchos took two of three doubles matches as well. Lozano and Dockendorf went down to San Francisco's top team of Heinser and Akerbrant (8-6). In No. 2 doubles, Ojeda and Onagi defeated Wartenburger and Hashiguchi (8-5). Novak and Hausman beat Gratian and Mekpoh (8-6) in No. 3 doubles to round out the action.
The Gauchos will play their third match in as many days on Sunday, when they travel to Santa Clara to take on the Broncos.
"Playing two days in a row isn't bad, but the third day is tough," said head coach Pete Kirkwood. "If we're serious about winning the conference, we have to learn to play well in those situations."
Sunday's match will start at 11:00 a.m. After this weekend, the Gauchos will come home before going back on the road to face Denver and Wyoming next weekend.
1. #65 Jennifer-Lee Heinser (USF) def. Sofia Novak (UCSB) 6-4, 6-1
2. Natalia Lozano (UCSB) def. Julia Wartenburger (USF) 7-6, 2-6, 6-2
3. Cecilia Gratian (USF) def. Asagi Onaga (UCSB) 6-0, 6-0
4. Annabel Gledden (UCSB) def. Melinda Akerbrant (USF) 6-4, 6-7, 6-3
5. Jordan Dockendorf (UCSB) def. Yurie Hashiguchi (USF) 6-3, 6-2
6. Bryanna Ojeda (UCSB) def. Jessy Mekpoh (USF) 6-1, 6-3
1. Heinser/Akerbrant (USF) def. Lozano/Dockendorf (UCSB) 8-6
2. Ojeda/Onaga (UCSB) def. Wartenburger/Hashiguchi (UCSB) 8-5
3. Novak/Hausman (UCSB) def. Gratian/Mekpoh (USF) 8-6