Gauchos Lose Close Match to Santa Clara, 4-3
Feb. 14, 2010
Santa Clara, Calif. - The UC Santa Barbara women's tennis team dropped its final match of a three-game, Northern California road trip, going 1-2 over the stretch. Sunday's loss came by a score of 4-3 to Santa Clara University. Each team won three singles matches, but Santa Clara earned the point in doubles, winning two of three matches.
In singles action, the top three positions for the Gauchos all went down, while the bottom three all won. Sofia Novak was defeated by Alex Zaniewski (6-3, 5-7, 6-4) at the No. 1 position. Santa Clara's Kelly Lamble knocked out Natalia Lozano (6-4, 4-6, 6-1) from the No. 2 slot. In the No. 3 spot, Asagi Onaga came up short against Maggie McGeorge (6-3, 6-4).
Annabel Gledden improved her dual match record to 5-2 with her victory over Santa Clara's Jessica Agra (6-4, 6-2) at the No. 4 position. Jordan Dockendorf continued to impress at the No. 5 spot, as she beat Carmen Pham (6-4, 6-4). Bryanna Ojeda also continued her hot play, taking down Kimmi Cox (6-0, 6-3) in straight sets at the No. 6 position.
In doubles play, Ojeda and Onaga picked up the win for the Gauchos, as they beat the team of Pham and Cox (8-5). Santa Clara's team of Zaniewski and Agra defeated Dockendorf and Lozano, while Lamble and McGeorge got the best of Hausman and Novak.
The Gauchos will play again on February 19th when they travel to Denver, and February 20th at Wyoming.
1. Alex Zaniewski (SCU) def. Sofia Novak (UCSB) 6-3, 5-7, 6-4
2. Kelly Lamble (SCU) def. Natalia Lozano (UCSB) 6-4, 4-6, 6-1
3. Maggie McGeorge (SCU) def. Asagi Onaga (UCSB) 6-3, 6-4
4. Annabel Gledden (UCSB) def. Jessica Agra (SCU) 6-4, 6-2
5. Jordan Dockendorf (UCSB) def. Carmen Pham (SCU) 6-4, 6-4
6. Bryanna Ojeda (UCSB) def. Kimmi Cox (SCU) 6-0, 6-3
1. Zaniewski/Agra (SCU) def. Dockendorf/Lozano (UCSB) 8-5
2. Ojeda/Onaga (UCSB) def. Pham/Cox (SCU) 8-5
3. Lamble/McGeorge (SCU) def. Hausman/Novak (UCSB) 8-3