Feb. 28, 2010
Santa Barbara, Calif. - After beating UC Davis in the conference opener on Friday, the UC Santa Barbara women's tennis team went down 5-2 to Fresno Pacific on Sunday, in a make-up match from earlier in the month.
UCSB quickly fell into a hole, after losing two of three doubles matches to the Sunbirds. The only doubles victory came at the No. 3 position, where Jill Damion and Tova Hausman easily took down Erika Januskova and Yulia Blinovskaya (8-2). The Gauchos have reason to be optimistic about Damion, who made her season debut on Sunday, and figures to be a contributing factor the rest of the season. Damion also competed at No. 5 singles, but lost in straight sets.
Down 1-0, the Gauchos were then defeated in four of the six singles matches. The two wins came at the Nos. 3 and 6 spots, as Jordan Dockendorf continued her stellar play with a (6-4, 6-1) victory over Vanessa Heroux, and Hausman handled Blinovskaya (6-0, 6-4). Dockendorf has now recorded three straight wins, and improved her dual match mark to 7-3, giving her the team lead in dual match victories.
With the loss on Sunday, the Gauhos fell to 4-7 on the season, but are still 1-0 in Big West play. UCSB will return to conference action on Friday, March 5th, when it takes on Cal Poly in San Luis Obispo at 2:00 p.m.
1. Katia Sabate (FP) def. Natalia Lozano (UCSB) 7-6, 6-3
2. Sara Celma (FP) def. Sofia Novak (UCSB) 6-3, 6-3
3. Jordan Dockendorf (UCSB) def. Vanessa Heroux (FP) 6-4, 6-1
4. Cristina Valladares (FP) def. Annabel Gledden (UCSB) 6-3, 1-6, 6-3
5. Erika Januskova (FP) def. Jill Damion (UCSB) 6-4, 6-2
6. Tova Hausman (UCSB) def. Yulia Blinovskaya (FP) 6-0, 6-4
1. Sabate/Heroux (FP) def. Lozano/Dockendorf (UCSB) 8-6
2. Celma/Valladares (FP) def. Onaga/Ojeda (UCSB) 9-7
3. Damion/Hausman (UCSB) def. Januskova/Blinovskaya (FP) 8-2