March 5, 2010
San Luis Obispo, Calif. - The UC Santa Barbara women's tennis team came up just short as it fell to No. 71 Cal Poly on the road Friday afternoon. The loss drops the Gauchos to 4-8 on the season, and evens their conference record at 1-1.
While the bottom three spots in the Gaucho lineup all recorded victories, the top half of the rotation struggled against some tough Mustang opponents. Playing from the No. 1 spot, Natalia Lozano was defeated in straight sets by Brittany Blalock (6-3, 6-2). Sofia Novak, continuing to play out of the No. 2 position, came up short against 93rd ranked Suzie Matzenauer (6-3, 6-3). Despite taking the match to three sets, surging sophomore Jordan Dockendorf could not finish off Steffi Wong (6-4, 6-7 (4), 6-0) at the No. 3 slot, putting a damper on her recent hot streak.
The bottom three spots in the Gaucho lineup found much more success in their trip to San Luis Obispo. Annabel Gledden came out on top at the No. 4 position as she easily took down Diane Filip (6-2, 6-3). At the No. 5 position, Tova Hausman continued to play well, knocking off Alexa Lee (6-3, 6-1), marking her third consecutive victory. Senior Bryanna Ojeda remained undefeated in dual match play, as she improved to 6-0 with her (6-2, 6-4) victory over Jocelyn Davis at the No. 6 spot.
The Mustangs took down the Gauchos in the top two doubles matches, with Lozano and Dockendorf falling to Blalock and Matzenauer (8-3), and Ojeda and Onaga losing to the 59th ranked doubles pairing of Wong and Lee (8-4).
At the No. 3 doubles position, Hausman once again partnered with Jill Damion to down the Mustang team of Filip and Ashley Pane (8-3). While Hausman increased her impressive streak of doubles wins, Damion continued to show improvement as she returns from shoulder injury, making a case to remain a part of the Gaucho lineup.
The Gauchos do not have any time to worry about Friday's loss, as they return home to take on Pacific at 11:00 a.m. Saturday morning, in another important Big West match.
1. Brittany Blalock (CP) def. Natalia Lozano (UCSB) 6-3, 6-2
2. No. 93 Suzie Matzenauer (CP) def. Sofia Novak (UCSB) 6-3, 6-3
3. Steffi Wong (CP) def. Jordan Dockendorf (UCSB) 6-4, 6-7 (4), 6-0
4. Annabel Gledden (UCSB) def. Diane Filip (CP) 6-2, 6-3
5. Tova Hausman (UCSB) def. Alexa Lee (CP) 6-3, 6-1
6. Bryanna Ojeda (UCSB) def. Jocelyn Davis (CP) 6-2, 6-4
1. Blalock/Matzenauer (CP) def. Lozano/Dockendorf (UCSB) 8-3
2. No. 59 Wong/Lee (CP) def. Ojeda/Onaga (UCSB) 8-4
3. Hausman/Damion (UCSB) def. Filip/Pane (CP) 8-3