March 10, 2010
Santa Barbara, Calif. - The UC Santa Barbara women's tennis team looked dominant on Wednesday afternoon, as they overpowered the University of Hawai'i, 6-1, pushing their record on the season to 6-8. The Gauchos started the day by winning the doubles point, and never looked back.
"When we get the doubles point, we have a shot against anyone," said head coach Pete Kirkwood.
Jordan Dockendorf and Natalia Lozano picked up the victory at the No. 1 doubles position over the team of Sophie Kobuch and Katarina Poljakova (8-3). Jill Damion and Tova Hausman suffered the loss to Alyssa Nafarrete and Barbara Pinterova (8-5) at the No. 2 spot, but Bryanna Ojeda and Asagi Onaga secured the doubles point with their victory over Aglae Van den Bergh and Mari Tadaki (8-6).
The only Gaucho loss in singles play came at the No. 3 spot, where Dockendorf lost a three-set battle against Poljakova (5-7, 6-4, 6-2). The rest of the match was smooth sailing for UCSB.
Sofia Novak got back on the winning track as she knocked off Kobuch (6-2, 2-6, 6-2) at the No. 1 position. At the No. 2 slot, Lozano also found success in her tough match against Pinterova (7-5, 2-6, 6-2).
As they have done all season, the Nos. 4, 5, and 6 positions continued to show their strength for the Gauchos. Gledden had an easy time against Nafarrete (6-1, 6-1) in the No. 4 slot, while Hausman continued her strong play, holding off Van den Bergh (6-3, 7-6 (3)), at the No. 5 position. Ojeda rounded out the action with a (6-1, 6-1) victory over Allison Gobel, keeping her perfect dual match record intact at 8-0.
"Four, five, and six have been our strength all season," added Kirkwood. "Those three haven't lost a single point in Big West matches."
Next up for the Gauchos will be a road match against nationally-ranked UC Irvine on Friday, March 12th at 1:30 p.m.
1. Sofia Novak (UCSB) def. Sophie Kobuch (UH) 6-2, 2-6, 6-2
2. Natalia Lozano (UCSB) def. Barbara Pinterova (UH) 7-5, 4-6, 1-0 (10-5)
3. Katarina Poljakova (UH) def. Jordan Dockendorf (UCSB) 5-7, 6-4, 6-2
4. Annabel Gledden (UCSB) def. Alyssa Nafarrete (UH) 6-1, 6-1
5. Tova Hausman (UCSB) def. Aglae Van den Bergh (UH) 6-3, 7-6 (3)
6. Bryanna Ojeda (UCSB) def. Allison Gobel (UH) 6-1, 6-1
1. Dockendorf/Lozano (UCSB) def. Kobuch/Poljakova (UH) 8-3
2. Nafarrete/Pinterova (UH) def. Damion/Hausman (UCSB) 8-5
3. Ojeda/Onaga (UCSB) def. Van den Bergh/Tadaki (UH) 8-6