March 22, 2010
Santa Barbara, Calif. - The 75th ranked UC Santa Barbara women's tennis team could not pull off the upset against No. 38 Dartmouth on Monday, as they fell 4-3 to the Big Green. The loss drops the Gauchos to 7-9 on the season.
The story for the Gauchos continues to be the play at the bottom of the order, as the No. 4, 5, and 6 positions accounted for all three of the team's points on the day.
With the top three spots in the lineup all falling for the Gauchos, the bottom three in the lineup did what they do best - win. At the No. 4 position, Annabel Gledden took down Jesse Adler in straight sets (6-1, 7-6). Tova Hausman picked up the victory at the No. 5 spot, as she knocked off Georgianna Smyser in two hard-fought sets (7-5, 7-6). Bryanna Ojeda pushed her dual match record to an astonishing 10-0, as she had to come from behind to overcome Ryan Reichel at the No. 6 slot (3-6, 6-3, 6-4).
"It was the fifth match in a row that we have won at 4, 5, and 6," said head coach Pete Kirkwood. "Our depth is phenomenal."
Dartmouth was too much for UCSB in doubles play, as the Gauchos were swept in the three matches.
UCSB will return to action over the weekend with a pair of matches. On Saturday, March 27th the Gauchos will travel to Loyola Marymount to battle the Lions at 12:00 p.m. They will then return home for a critical Big West match against Cal State Northridge on Sunday the 28th, at 11:00 a.m.
1. Molly Scott (DC) def. Sofia Novak (UCSB) 7-5, 7-6 (4)
2. Sarah Leonard (DC) def. Natalia Lozano (UCSB) 6-3, 6-3
3. Mary Beth Winningham (DC) def. Jordan Dockendorf (UCSB) 7-5, 7-5
4. Annabel Gledden (UCSB) def. Jesse Adler (DC) 6-1, 7-6
5. Tova Hausman (UCSB) def. Georgianna Smyser (DC) 7-5, 7-6
6. Bryanna Ojeda (UCSB) def. Ryan Reichel (DC) 3-6, 6-3, 6-4
1. Scott/Winningham (DC) def. Dockendorf/Lozano (UCSB) 8-3
2. Leonard/King (DC) def. Hausman/Damion (UCSB) 8-6
3. Adler/Smyser (DC) def. Ojeda/Onaga (UCSB) 8-4