March 27, 2010
Los Angeles, Calif. - The 75th ranked UC Santa Barbara women's tennis rebounded from their loss earlier in the week to dominate the Loyola Marymount Lions by a score of 5-2. The win pushes the Gauchos' record to 8-9 on the season.
The Gauchos started off the day by sweeping the three doubles matches, with two teams making their debuts. Tova Hausman and Bryanna Ojeda played together for the first time and won in convincing fashion, as they beat the team of Jane Pringle and Elisaveta Pironkova at No. 1 doubles (8-2). Jill Damion and Annabel Gledden were also paired together for the first time, and they too found success as they took down Shauna Morgan and Audrey Bulkley at the No. 3 position (8-3). Jordan Dockendorf and Natalia Lozano moved to the No. 2 position and doubled up Bliss Nixon and Melissa Valenzuela (8-4).
After earning the doubles point, the Gauchos carried the momentum over to singles play, winning four of the six matches.
At the No. 1 position, Sofia Novak was impressive in her straight-set victory over Pringle (6-3, 6-4). Lozano won her match at the No. 2 spot over Estelle LaPorte, with identical scores of (6-2, 6-2). Dockendorf, moving down to the No. 5 slot, was too much for Nixon to handle, as she did her part for the Gauchos, winning by a score of (7-6(4), 6-2). Hausman picked up the victory at the No. 6 position, as she beat Bulkley (6-0, 6-2).
The only two losses for the Gauchos came at the Nos. 3 and 4 positions, as Gledden fell to Valenzuela (7-5, 6-4), and Damion was taken down by Pironkova in three hard-fought sets (2-6, 6-4, 14-12).
The Gauchos will return to action tomorrow morning at 11:00 a.m. when they host Cal State Northridge (7-4, 1-2) in a huge Big West showdown.
1. Sofia Novak (UCSB) def. Jane Pringle (LMU) 6-3, 6-4
2. Natalia Lozano (UCSB) def. Estelle LaPorte (LMU) 6-2, 6-2
3. Melissa Valenzuela (LMU) def. Annabel Gledden (UCSB) 7-5, 6-4
4. Elisaveta Pironkova (LMU) def. Jill Damion (UCSB) 2-6, 6-4, 14-12
5. Jordan Dockendorf (UCSB) def. Bliss Nixon (LMU) 7-6 (4), 6-2
6. Tova Hausman (UCSB) def. Audrey Bulkley (LMU) 6-0, 6-2
1. Bryanna Ojeda/Hausman (UCSB) def. Pringle/Pironkova (LMU) 8-2
2. Dockendorf/Lozano (UCSB) def. Nixon/Valenzuela (LMU) 8-4
3. Damion/Gledden (UCSB) def. Shauna Morgan/Bulkley (LMU) 8-3