April 9, 2009
Pullman, Wash. - After winning the doubles point, the UC Santa Barbara women's tennis team pounced on Washington State Thursday afternoon to post a 5-2 win and improve to 14-5 on the season.
The Gauchos rolled over Washington State in doubles play, winning at the No. 1 and No. 2 slots. The duo of Michelle Murphy and Sofia Novak topped Aleksandra Cekic and Ekaterina Kamendova, 8-4, while the pair of Jill Damion and Natalia Lozano posted an emphatic 8-1 win over Bianca Selaru and Marina Nicolas.
UCSB stayed hot, grabbing four victories in singles play. Michelle Murphy led the way for the Gauchos, defeating Kamendova, 6-0, 6-1 on center court. Bryanna Ojeda followed it up with a 6-4, 6-3 scorching of Jessica Gomez at the No. 6 position. The UCSB women sealed the win after Asagi Onaga's win over Selaru at the No. 5 slot.
The Gauchos will complete their season tomorrow at 10 a.m. against Eastern Washington.
1) Murphy/Novak (UCSB) def. Cekic/Kamendova (WSU) 8-4
2) Damion/Lozano (UCSB) def. Selaru/Nicolas (WSU) 8-1
3) Ojeda/Onaga (UCSB) def. Gomez/Fournier (WSU) 8-7(4)
1) Michelle Murphy (UCSB) def. Ekaterina Kamendova (WSU) 6-0, 6-1
2) Aleksandra Cekic (WSU) def. Jill Damion (UCSB) 6-2, 6-0
3) Elisabeth Fournier (WSU) def. Sofia Novak (UCSB) 6-2, 7-6 (5)
4) Natalia Lozano (UCSB) def. Marina Nicolas (WSU) 4-6, 7-5, 6-3
5) Asagi Onaga (UCSB) def. Bianca Selaru (WSU) 2-6, 6-2, 6-2
6) Bryanna Ojeda (UCSB) def. Jessica Gomez (WSU) 6-4, 6-3