April 19, 2007
LONG BEACH, Calif. - UC Santa Barbara played the final match of its regular season on Wednesday afternoon, dropping a 7-0 decision to defending Big West champion Long Beach State. The contest was the Gauchos' last before they open play at the 2007 Big West Championships on April 27 at Indian Wells, Calif.
The 49ers won all three doubles matches to open the day with a 1-0 lead, and then they swept through the singles contests. UCSB's Carina Bjornstrom, who normally plays No. 2, was held out of the singles competition. Of the six singles matches only one was close. At No. 6, Long Beach's Rachael Porsz defeated Gaucho freshman Bryanna Ojeda, 6-2, 7-5.
With the loss, UCSB falls to 10-10 overall and 4-3 in Big West play. The 49ers imprve to 14-8 overall and 6-1 in the Big West.
Long Beach State 7, UC Santa Barbara 0
1. Bengson/Williams (LBSU) def. Simic/Scatliffe (UCSB), 8-2
2. Grady/Weeks (LBSU) def. Onaga/Bjornstrom (UCSB), 8-1
3. Rocha/Porsz (LBSU) def. Hausman/Kausen (UCSB), 8-3
1. Hannah Grady (LBSU) def. Marta Simic (UCSB), 6-1, 3-0 (retired)
2. Katy Williams (LBSU) def. Charlotte Scatliffe (UCSB), 6-2, 6-1
3. Stephanie Bengson (LBSU) def. Asagi Onaga (UCSB), 6-1, 6-1
4. Jessica Weeks (LBSU) def. Tova Hausman (UCSB), 6-1, 6-2
5. Sandra Rocha (LBSU) def. Brittany Kausen (UCSB), 6-3, 6-1
6. Rachael Porsz (LBSU) def. Bryanna Ojeda (UCSB), 6-2, 7-5