May 1, 2010
Indian Wells, Calif. - The UC Santa Barbara women's tennis team played its last game of the season on Saturday morning, falling to UC Irvine in the semifinals of the Big West tournament.
The Gauchos started off the match by dropping two of three doubles matches to go down 1-0. In the No. 3 position, Jill Damion and Asagi Onaga were defeated by Brooke Bartlett and April Bisharat (8-3). Seniors Tova Hausman and Bryanna Ojeda provided the lone victory by taking down Hannah Holladay and Rebecca Kwan (8-3) at the No. 1 spot. In the deciding match, Jordan Dockendorf and Natalia Lozano could not come up with the win, as Courtney Byron and Kristina Smith came out on top (8-6) to earn the point.
The doubles point proved to be difference, as each team won three singles matches. Hausman won her No. 3 matchup with Stephanie Hammel (6-1, 6-1) to tie the match at a point apiece. The Anteaters then claimed the No. 1 match, as Byron downed Sofia Novak (6-2, 6-3). The Gauchos would then respond by taking the Nos. 4 and 2 positions, as Damion held off Bartlett (6-3, 7-5) and Lozano handled Bisharat. Holding a 3-2 lead, the Gauchos would then drop the final two matches.
At the No. 5 position, Annabel Gledden was beaten in straight sets by Kwan, by the count of (6-0, 6-3). After an impressive streak of fourteen straight dual match victories, Ojeda lost her first match of the season to UCI's Smith (6-1, 7-5).
The Gauchos finished the season with a record 13-11 overall, and a conference record of 6-2.
1. Hausman/Ojeda (UCSB) def. Holladay/Kwan (UCI) 8-3
2. Byron/Smith (UCI) def. Dockendorf/Lozano (UCSB) 8-6
3. Bartlett/Bisharat (UCI) def. Damion/Onaga (UCSB) 8-3
Order of finish: 3, 1, 2
1. Courtney Byron (UCI) def. Sofia Novak (UCSB) 6-2, 6-3
2. Natalia Lozano (UCSB) def. April Bisharat (UCI) 6-0, 7-6 (8)
3. Tova Hausman (UCSB) def. Stephanie Hammel (UCI) 6-1, 6-1
4. Jill Damion (UCSB) def. Brooke Bartlett (UCI) 6-3, 7-5
5. Rebecca Kwan (UCI) def. Annabel Gledden (UCSB) 6-0, 6-3
6. Kristina Smith (UCI) def. Bryanna Ojeda (UCSB) 6-1, 7-5
Order of finish: 3, 1, 4, 2, 5, 6