SANTA BARBARA, Calif. – The Gaucho women start off the new season strong, finishing their first match with a 5-2 win over Northern Arizona University.
The women showed how hard they have been working this season as they started out strong against Northern Arizona University with a 5-2 win.
A great feeling for Coach Simon Thibodeau, as his first matches as head coach of the Gauchos ends in a victory. “I am very proud of the team today. They trained and prepared well.”
The Gauchos started off on a winning foot, as they swept all three doubles matches earning that crucial doubles point.
This gave the women a bit more confidence as they entered their singles matches, knowing that an early victory was attainable.
Priscila Garcia at the number 4 position, started off the Gauchos with their first singles win of the season against her opponent, Malia Wahinepio 6-0, 6-4.
Keeping the winning streak going April Scatliffe, Kiersten Meehan, and Stacy Yam all took home a singles victory as well shortly after. The women really showed their NAU opponents what a deep team they have. “What’s great about the girls is that they are all very competitive, and there is no large gap in capabilities. I could put my number one player at 6 and my number 6 player at 1 and still feel confident in the lineup” Coach Thibodeau remarks.
Senior Erica Cano had a tough match at the number 5 position, falling to opponent Alice Pacaut in a ten point tie-breaker in the third. Cano started out strong, taking the first set 6-4, but ended up losing the next set 2-6 and ended the match out 6-4, 2-6 (9-11).
Coach Thibodeau said of the Gauchos “It’s been a while since we have competed, we were all a little nervous. It is nice to have the first win and get confidence for tomorrow.”
Tomorrow the Gaucho Women will face off against San Jose State University at 12:00 pm at the Rec Cen courts.
UC Santa Barbara 5, Northern Arizona 2
1. April Scatliffe (UCSB) def. STONE, Hannah (NAU) 6-3, 6-1
2. Kiersten Meehan (UCSB) def. DOBALLAH, Ghizelene (NAU) 6-0, 6-4
3. VANG, Johanna (NAU) def. Paola Cos (UCSB) 3-6, 7-6, 10-7
4. Priscilia Garcia (UCSB) def. WAHINEPIO, Malia (NAU) 6-0, 6-4
5. PACAUT, Alice (NAU) def. Erica Cano (UCSB) 4-6, 6-2, 11-9
6. Stacy Yam (UCSB) def. PEREZ, Nicole (NAU) 6-4, 6-1
1. April Scatliffe/Priscilia Garcia (UCSB) def. VANG, Johanna/STONE, Hannah (NAU) 8-2
2. Paola Cos/Erica Cano (UCSB) def. DOBALLAH, Ghizelene/PEREZ, Nicole (NAU) 8-5
3. Kiersten Meehan/Megan Carter (UCSB) def. WAHINEPIO, Malia/PACAUT, Alice (NAU) 7-6
Northern Arizona 0-4
UC Santa Barbara 1-0