SANTA BARBARA, Calif. – UC Santa Barbara women's volleyball head coach Nicole Lantagne Welch on Tuesday unveiled the team's 2017 schedule, featuring 28 matches around the country against top competition.
This year, the Gauchos will host 11 home matches and take part in four tournaments. UCSB will face some of the top talent in the country in 2017, as the Gauchos' scheduled opponents have combined for 11 national championships while six went to the NCAA Tournament a season ago.
For the fourth consecutive year, the Gauchos are set to host their own tournament at the Thunderdome. The tourney runs on Friday, Sept. 8 and Saturday, Sept. 9 with a field including USC, Arkansas, and Yale.
Lantagne Welch, entering her fifth season at UCSB, weclomes back a strong stable of returners this season, led by star outside hitters in sophomore Lindsey Ruddins (AVCA All-American, 2016 Big West Freshman of the Year) and senior Chanel Hoffman (two-time All-Big West) alongside reliable junior libero Emilia Petrachi (league-high 4.66 digs per set in 2016) and promising sophomore middle blocker Rowan Ennis (2016 Big West All-Freshman Team).
Newcomers include freshmen Kjia Rivers (middle blocker, Del Norte HS, San Diego, Calif.), Kobie Jimenez (defensive specialist, Ventura HS, Ventura, Calif.), Amanda Serex (middle blocker, St. Francis HS, Fremont, Calif.), and Nicole Omwanghe (middle blocker, Claremont HS, Claremont, Calif.) alongside LA Pierce College transfer Megan Weaver (middle blocker, Porter Ranch, Calif.).
Season tickets for women's volleyball season are available now! Shop online by clicking here or call the UCSB Athletics Ticket Office at 805-893-UCSB (8272) to secure your seats today.
To view the complete schedule, click here.
Highlights from the 2017 UCSB women's volleyball schedule are below:
- Aug. 25-27: UCSB opens its season at the Baylor Tournament. The Gauchos' season opener is scheduled against Illinois State on Aug. 25 at 2:00 p.m. UCSB will also face off against 2016 NCAA Tournament teams in Baylor and Florida State, the latter of which reached the Sweet 16.
- Sept. 1-2: Utah State Tournament, featuring the host Aggies, Montana State, and Pacific.
- Sept. 8-9: UCSB hosts the Thunderdome Classic, featuring USC, Yale, and Arkansas.
- Sept. 15-16: Pitt Panther Challenge, featuring the host Panthers, Cleveland State, and Eastern Kentucky.
- Sept. 22: Conference opener against UC Riverside at the Thunderdome
- Oct. 14 (H) and Nov. 3 (A): Blue-Green rivalry matches against Cal Poly
- Oct. 6 (A) and Oct. 28 (H): Matchups against 2016 Big West Champion Hawaii
- Nov. 11: Regular season home finale, Senior Night against UC Davis
- Nov. 21: Regular season finale at UC Irvine